Saturday, January 22, 2011

Going Back In Time

Nostalgia – 24″x36″ – Acrylic on canvas
©2009, Don Michael, Jr.

Standing alone tugging baggage upon my back.
On a platform waiting for a train to arrive.
A child gambolling about in his imaginary world.
Reminiscent of me, many years ago when I was five.

Walking down the streets crowded, a subtle weight
On my shoulders yet unable to weigh me down.
A little thief stands by a fruit sellers eying me from
The corner of his eye; runs away hands full as I smile and frown.

As I watch a girl dancing for hours to the sound of inane music.
I was once like that, without complexities burgeoning me.
A time when i frolicked and leaped everywhere with
Simplest human emotions almost balanced; always within boundaries, yet free.

And as I go back in time every now and then, I wonder.
About the fear amidst the joy I always carried then.
Now I know who I am, complicated but figured out.
I brood which is best, gleefully fearful or happily covered in stains.


11 comments:

Anonymous said...

this got a good aura...like a very slow,finicky train to some rigid stop....emitting smokeand colour.. sleep waking through some uncanny mist..hmmm..nice!

D2 said...

@Lioness : I really like the way it made you think and what you wrote about it here. Thanks a lot. :)

Miss D said...

Aah, the wonderful feeling of reminiscing the days that saw us through the times that led us to become who we are today... and how funny it is to know the way our perspectives have altered over the years!

I loved this, firstly for the poetry in itself and also for another special reason which you are well aware of !

D2 said...

@Enchanta : It not only feels wonderful to reminisce about our childhood but also comparing our present mixed up lives with the carefree lives we used to live gives vaguely interesting thoughts.
And yes, I do know of what you speak. And since you mentioned it, this poem has become a little more special to me as well. :)

Sayak Shome said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sayak Shome said...

Happily covered in stains,
That is what I would choose,
I would not say that with conviction loose,
But, I know that I can survive the blains.

D2 said...

@Sayak :
It is not about what one can survive.
But about what one feels free at most.
For then and then only will the stains not matter.
And the skin would be unblemished even if it be coarse.

Purba said...

You are still almost a child. You aint seen nothing yet!

D2 said...

@Purba Di : Though that's true, it would be quite true if I said that I've seen most people my age.

Sonshu said...

I was once like that, without complexities burgeoning me.
A time when i frolicked and leaped everywhere with
Simplest human emotions almost balanced; always within boundaries, yet free.

Those lines are lovely, shows a lot of pain like a lot that one's going through! :) Very nicely expressed!

D2 said...

@Sonshu : A pain that never was earlier is what this poem is all about. Thanks a lot. :)

Post a Comment

You've read my thoughts.
Please do tell me yours.

Related Posts with Thumbnails